The Dutch capital offers many vegan-food opportunities to people who have decided to cut proteins and animal products out of their diet, despite a purely carnivorous tradition.
Whether you're looking for a place to have a healthy vegan breakfast, a cafe for a quick lunch, a vegan shop or a good vegan restaurant, in Amsterdam you can enjoy some excellent no-animal food in accordance with your eating beliefs. City's hotels too began to include more and more vegan options in their menus so to meet their guests' needs.
Here are some of the best vegan places in Amsterdam we have discovered for you.
1. TerraZen CentreClose to Dam square, this restaurant offers a wide range of vegan dishes with a basis of Caribbean and Japanese food.
The place is quite small; the environment is easy and welcoming, and it proposes home cooking ensuring the use of local organic products.
Prices can be high.
Where: 19 hs Sint Jacobstraat.
When: every day, from 12:30 pm to 10 pm.
2. DeshimaLocated in the surroundings of the Rijksmuseum, Deshima is both a shop and a lunchroom that proposes high-quality strictly vegan products.
The specialties of the house are tempeh and shitake sushi, and their cakes of course.
Takeaway is possible.
Where: Weteringschans 65.
When: from Monday to Friday, 10 am-6 pm; Saturday, 10 am-5 pm.
3. Meatless DistrictIt's a good and trendy vegan restaurant, also open for breakfast in the weekends.
It can be quite expensive.
Where: Bilderdijkstraat 65-67 (close to De Hallen center).
When: from Tuesday to Thursday, 12 pm-11 pm; from Friday to Sunday, 9 am-12 am.
4. De PeperIt is a very particular and creative place. It is not exactly a restaurant, but the result of a non-profit social project of vegan and organic cooking, within a cultural center (called OT 301).
There are no prices, but a donation between 7 and 10 euros should be made.
De Peper is entirely managed by volunteers in an alternative, welcoming and politically correct environment.
Where: Overtoom 301, not far from Vondelpark.
When: Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, 6 pm-1 am; Friday, 6 pm-3 am. You have to make a reservation the same day, calling the number 020 412 2954 from 1 pm to 4 pm.
There is a prix fixe menu.
Where: Eerste Schinkelstraat 16 (close to Vondelpark).
When: on Thursday and Saturday, 7 pm-12 pm; Friday and Sunday, 12 pm-01 am. You have to make a reservation calling 020-6790712 from 2:30 pm to 6 pm.
6. DophertIt is a vegan deli, perfect for a wonderful breakfast and a quick healthy lunch. Don't miss their cakes!
Where: Spaarndammerstraat 49 (a bit far from the city center).
When: on Sunday, 11 am-5:30 pm; on Wednesday, 10 am-5:30 pm; from Thursday to Saturday, 10 am-9 pm.
7. Koffie ende KoeckThis is a vegan cafe that offers good breakfasts and tasty vegan sandwiches for lunch. Cakes too are delicious.
Where: Haarlemmerweg 175, close to Westerpark.
When: from Tuesday to Friday, 9:30 am- 5:30 pm; Saturday, 10 am-5:30 pm.
8. VegabondThis cafeteria is another can't-miss place where to taste a very good vegan breakfast and a delicious snack for lunch.
It also sells organic vegan products. Its location on the canals is amazing.
Where: Leliegracht 16 (Grachtengordel).
When: from Monday to Saturday, 11 am-6 pm; Sunday, 12 pm-5 pm.
Being VeganEating vegan can be an ethical choice, a way to turn to a healthy and natural diet, a real philosophy of life or sometimes a necessity (due to allergies or food intolerance).
The vegan and vegetarian culinary culture is spreading everywhere, and today to find places to meet this need is getting easier.
And in Amsterdam there is no lack of offers at all! You will be spoiled for choice and have the chance to always try new places.
P.S.: Stay tuned for a guide to the best vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurants in Amsterdam!